Opting for eco-friendly cleaning products is beneficial not only for the environment but also for ourselves. Harsh chemicals found in traditional cleaning substances can irritate, posing risks such as respiratory problems, allergies, and skin complications. Whereas eco-friendly cleaning products, made from non-toxic ingredients, help reduce these risks.
Advantages of using eco-friendly cleaning products
There are several benefits to employing natural cleaning alternatives:
Safety for pets and children
Natural cleaning products generally are safer for pets and children as they contain no hazardous chemicals that could harm if ingested or affect sensitive skin.
Natural cleaning materials do not emit dangerous fumes, making them a safer alternative for individuals suffering from allergies, asthma or related conditions.
Contrary to popular belief, natural cleaning products are just as effective as traditional ones, providing comprehensive cleaning without compromising on outcomes.
Environmentally conscious packaging
Many eco-friendly cleaning products come in recyclable or biodegradable packages, contributing to waste reduction and a more sustainable future.
By selecting eco-friendly alternatives when cleaning, we positively contribute to the environment while ensuring our living spaces are clean and fit for living long and healthy lives for generations to come.
The Best Natural Cleaning Products (That Work!)
- Acetic acid in vinegar aids in dissolving mineral deposits, dirt, grease, and grime.
- Vinegar has natural disinfecting properties, making it effective against bacteria and mould.
- It’s non-toxic and safe around children and pets.
- Vinegar has a natural deodorizing effect and can help eradicate odours.
DIY Vinegar Cleaning Products
- All-purpose cleaner: Mix equal amounts of vinegar and water in a spray bottle and use it on appliances, countertops, and other surfaces.
- Glass cleaner: Combine one part water to two parts vinegar in a spray bottle and use it to clean windows, mirrors, and glass surfaces.
- Bathroom cleaner: Mix vinegar, water, and a few drops of dishwashing liquid to remove soap scum and clean bathroom fittings.
- Floor cleaner: Dilute vinegar with water and use it to clean linoleum and ceramic tile floors.
Always test vinegar solutions on a small, discreet area before applying them on larger surfaces.
- Baking soda is a natural deodoriser that effectively eliminates odours from various surfaces.
- It can function as a gentle abrasive cleaner for scrubbing surfaces without causing damage.
- Baking soda can eradicate stains and grease from pots, pans, and baking dishes.
- It can be used to clean and deodorise carpets, upholstery, and mattresses.
- Baking soda can enhance your laundry by removing odours and brightening whites.
Baking Soda Cleaning Recipes
- To clean and deodorise your chopping boards, sprinkle baking soda onto a damp sponge, scrub, and rinse clean.
- For a natural oven cleaner, mix baking soda with water to create a paste. Apply it to the oven surfaces and let it sit overnight. Clean the following day.
- To unclog and deodorise drains, pour a combination of baking soda and vinegar down the drain. Allow it to sit for a few minutes, then flush with hot water.
- For a gentle surface cleaner, mix equal parts of baking soda and water. Use this mixture to clean countertops, sinks, and appliances.
- To freshen up carpets, sprinkle baking soda liberally, let it sit for a few hours, then hoover it up.
- Citrus fruits contain citric acid, which is an efficient solvent for grease and dirt.
- They possess natural antibacterial qualities, making them effective for disinfecting surfaces.
- Citrus fruits neutralise odours, particularly organic ones, leaving an appealing and fresh fragrance in their stead.
- They are non-toxic and safe to use around children and pets.
DIY Citrus Cleaning Products
- Citrus-infused vinegar: Soak citrus peels in vinegar for a month, mash them down to release the oils, and pass the liquid through a strainer for use as an all-purpose cleaner.
- Citrus wood polish: Combine equal parts citrus juice (like lemon) and olive oil to form a natural, efficient wood polish.
- Citrus stain remover: Mix lemon juice with salt to create a spot stain remover on fabrics.
Adopting a more sustainable cleaning routine benefits the environment while promoting a healthier, eco-friendlier residence. By making these simple swaps and ingraining sustainable cleaning habits into your routine, waste can be greatly reduced, and chemical pollution minimised, resulting in a cleaner, eco-conscious residence.
- Switch to green cleaners: Pick eco-friendly cleaning products that are biodegradable, plant-based, or non-toxic.
- Choose reusable cleaning implements: Replace single-use paper towels and wipes for reusable alternatives like microfibre cloths, washable mop pads, and sponges.
- Minimise packaging waste: Opt for brands that use minimal packaging or provide refillable alternatives for cleaning solutions.
- Practice efficient waste disposal and recycling: Separate recyclables from non-recyclable rubbish and participate in recycling schemes to reduce waste and save resources.
- Conserve water: Be considerate of water consumption when cleaning by turning off the tap when not in use, utilizing a bucket for mopping, and promptly fixing any leaks.
- Donate or freecycle undesired cleaning items: Rather than throwing away unused cleaning supplies, consider donating them to local charities or participating in online freecycling communities.
Embracing eco-friendly cleaning is a responsible choice that aids in preserving our planet for generations to come.